Winter Skincare Favorites
Winter Skincare Favorites
Right now that it's winter time, most of us struggle with skin irritation and moisture loss due to the coldness. At the time being I want to share some of my favorite products to help your skin through this season. You may surprise, what are some signs of a compromised skin barrier? Some signs and symptoms include: Stinging or burning, cracks in the skin, itchiness, rough texture, redness, or flakiness/scaliness.
I'll start off with some cleansers that are not only soothing, but also helps prevent transepidermal water loss. What is transepidermal water loss you may ask? This is when water passes from the dermis (second layer of skin) through the epidermis (first outer layer of skin) and evaporates from the skin's surface. My top cleanser picks are:
- ZO Gentle cleanser: This is my current go-to ZO cleanser because it can be used all year round, it is so gentle, and suitable for all skin types.Sodium lauroyl oat amino acids are a key ingredient that prevents post-cleansing dryness, and Botanical extract blend provides antioxidant benefits.
- ZO Hydrating cleanser: This cleanser is great for normal to dry skin types. It is a dual-action cleanser that combines glycerin and allantoin to soothe sensitive skin.
- SkinCeuticals Soothing cleanser (foam): This cleanser is formulated with a high concentration of actives and Botanical blend of orchid and cucumber extracts that soothe and calm compromised, reactive, or post-procedure skin.
Next, I will share some toners that can help keep the skin barrier nice and strong. My top picks are:
- ZO Calming Toner: This toner infuses sensitized and weak skin with lightweight hydration. Key ingredients include: Sodium hyaluronate, sodium PCA, panthenol: humectant blend that helps to retain + replenish hydration.
- SkinCeuticals Equalizing toner: This toner is formulated to balance and refresh the skin. It restores the pH mantle of the skin and removes any lingering residue after cleansing. It is a great choice for all skin types, and another reason to love it would be its ability to gently exfoliate dead skin cells without stripping away the moisture.
We are now moving on to my favorite part.. Prevent + Correct / Serums!
- ZO Daily power defense: This is my #1 product to reach for. Not only is it designed to diminish lines and wrinkles, it also addresses future damage. This powerful antioxidant serum supports the skin's natural DNA repair process and helps restore barrier function and skin health. What first sold me on this product was the before and after test that was done on a sliced apple. The side of the apple that didn't have daily power defense was turning brown, and the side where it was applied looked freshly chopped. This does wonders for your skin by protecting it from daily environmental aggressors. It absorbs so well and is great to layer with other products.
- ZO Illuminating AOX serum: I'm listing this one right after the daily power defense because the ingredients are almost the same. The main difference is that the AOX Illuminating serum gives a glow to your skin, so it's perfect to use in the day time for that healthy illuminating effect that most of us try to achieve with other products. This visibly brightens the skin with a subtly luminous, soft-focus finish. You can use the daily power defense in the PM while using the Illuminating AOX serum in the AM to have your skin protected at all times.
- ZO Growth Factor serum: This is my go-to night serum. It is a lightweight gel, with ZPRO complex that supports skin rejuvenation, reduces the appearance of expression lines and wrinkles, and protects against future signs of aging. Due to its large molecular structure, it can go on as the very last step in your night time routine. When I use this before bed, I notice I wake up with soft, hydrated skin.
- ZO Growth Factor eye serum: Similar to the Growth Factor serum, this does similar things but is meant for the delicate eye area. It reduces the appearance of expression lines and eye wrinkles, visibly improves the appearance of volume, improves hydration, and has a cooling applicator that revives the look of tired eyes.
- SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic: This is the award-winning Vitamin C combination antioxidant serum proven to deliver advanced environmental protection against atmospheric skin aging. This serum is unlike any other Vitamin C I have used. It has 15% Pure vitamin C, 1% pure vitamin E, and 0.5% Ferulic acid. This is a powerhouse combination, keeping the skin hydrated and protected.
- SkinCeuticals Resveratrol B E: This is a hydrating night-time concentrate. It is designed to boost the skin's own antioxidant defense system, promote the natural repair process, and strengthen its resistance to free radical damage.
Moisturizers that help with hydration.
ZO Recovery creme: For dry and sensitive skin, this rich emollient contains retinol to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, along with ceramides to hydrate and smooth skin.
- ZO Hydrating creme: A lightweight rejuvenating formula, with ZOX12 complex, minimizes fine lines and delivers hydrating and calming benefits for post-procedure or dry, irritated skin.
- SkinCeuticals Triple lipid restore 2:4:2: A potent corrective moisturizer that features the cholesterol-dominant ratio of naturally occurring lipids needed to replenish and reinforce the skin barrier as it ages.
Sunscreen (Essential through every season. Fun fact: Snow reflects up to 80% UV radiation!)..
- ZO Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Spf 50: For sensitive and post-procedure skin, this lightweight, non-irritating mineral sunscreen, with ZOX12® complex, protects against damaging effects from UVA/UVB and IR-A rays, and from HEV light.
- ZO Smart Tone Broad-spectrum Spf 50: This one is great for people who are looking for a sunscreen with a natural tint. This is a lightweight sunscreen with a self-adjusting tint that complements most skin tones while providing a healthy, hydrated glow. Featuring an exclusive antioxidant complex while protecting against the aging effects of UVA/UVB, IR-A rays and HEV light.
- SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense Spf 50: An ultra-light mineral sunscreen that provides broad spectrum protection with a transparent finish. Formulated with Titanium Dioxide, a broad spectrum 100% mineral filter, and enhanced with artemia salina, a plankton extract to help boost skin’s natural defenses to UV- and heat-induced stress. I love how lightweight this one feels on the skin, and it's the one I will personally reach for post-procedure.
Additional things you can do to prevent dry skin symptoms is make sure to moisturize your skin after cleansing, wear sunscreen daily, use the right products to prevent or treat skin irritation, adjust your skin care routine, go easy on exfoliants and scrubs, and last but certainly not least- hydrate from the inside. 50-60% of the human body is made up of water, so drinking plenty of water (at least 2L daily) can really improve your skin health. I hope this helped you learn more about these products that could help through these cold months!