by Holly Wu·
As far as we know that Retinol is the benchmark skincare ingredient for anti-aging. It can elevate cellular turnover, lighten up pigment, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and improve overall texture and tone of the skin. Anyway, there are various forms of Vitamin A in the skincare world and Retinol is just 1 of the 4 in the Retinoid family.
Retinyl Esters (Retinyl Palmitate, Retinal Acetate, Retinal linoleate)
- No irritation but not result driven
- 3 conversions to Retinoic Acid
- A bit more irritation compared to Retinyl Esters
- 2 conversions to Retinoic Acid
- Moderate irritation
- 1 conversion to Retinoic Acid
Retinoic Acid (Tretinion)
- Prescription only and has the most irritation
- 0 conversion to Retinoic Acid
In general, higher percentages would be more potent, delivering a better result. At the same time, it can also create more redness and irritation during the beginning of use. That’s why we always recommend to start slow and let the skin gradually adapt to it. It takes at least 3 months before you can see any visible improvement. You will not be disappointed if you stick with using it in your PM skincare routine!